Just Another Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Jailed!

Got up at 8:00 am and started off my laptop sleepily. Tried to connect to the Net and it failed. This was a common problem and usually worked when I restarted the modem. I restarted the cable modem and tried again. No luck!

Did it a couple of more times but it did not work. Thought that I will investigate it later and got ready and left to work.

Came at around 5:00 pm and decided to check on the Net again. Again the laptop was not connecting to the Internet. Now I started getting concerned. As I was checking my dining table, I saw a letter from Time Warner stating that we had not yet paid and should pay at the earliest!

Had they cut our connection? Were we late in paying the bill? Would there be no Net till my dues got cleared - I sincerely hoped not! I was now feeling pissed at my roomie as it was his job to take care of the Time Warner bills and he had left for vacation to India..

Anyway I called the Call centre and told them that I was unable to connect to Internet. They confirmed that my account was fine and all payments have been made - I heaved a sigh of relief.

They said that they will try connecting to my modem and they were successful. Then they said the problem could be with the router, so I disconnected the router and connected the modem directly to the laptop. Still no luck. Then the Customer Rep said there was a major outage in the downtown area and by the looks of it - I was affected. They said it would get resolved in a couple of hours.

At around 9pm, I tried my laptop and still no Net. Now this was getting to my nerves, I again called the call centre. They made me repeat the same procedure of disconnecting the router and stuff but still no Internet. Still another couple of hours...

Time moved real slow. I switched through the basic channels on TV but I was in no mood to watch TV - the fact that Net was not working was making me very edgy. I had nothing to do as such, just general browsing. But still without the Net - I felt locked in my room with no access to the external world - it was getting a bit claustrophobic. I was waiting for the couple of hours to pass and then I would try connecting again

At 11:00, I tried again and could not get through. After exchanging pleasantries with the Call Centre, I came to know that this was the worst outage in some time.

It was a "Net"less day and I did not enjoy it one bit. No talking to Amma and Appa, no mails exchanged with friends, no songs on radio, no blogs read - it was a really bland day wit Net. Anyway I resigned to my fate that I will not be able to do anything on Net that day and slept off...

The next day I got up and checked - it worked :) Net was up - checked my mails which I would anyway check in office :) and got ready and pushed off to work!

I guess more and more people are getting hooked to Net. Surprising thing is that in India I had no Net at home and I was still absolutely fine.

My addiction started when I came to US four months back and I just hope I get over it. But the big question is - "Will I ever?"

6 Comments:

  • hey tcr. seems like u were off for a bit huh? well ya here in the US without internet is like theres no life at all.. restless is exactly the word if the page doesnt load fast or if there is no internet :)

    By Blogger Vivhyd, at 6:22 AM  

  • Viv - Work and a lot of other things had kept me busy.

    Yes man, with cable modem at my place, life has changed so much

    It was a nightmare without the 'Net'working

    By Blogger tcr_79, at 6:24 AM  

  • Welcome...

    Thanks :)

    Yeah am planning to be more regular at blogging now...

    By Blogger tcr_79, at 4:11 PM  

  • Hooked onto the net... hmmm, luckily iam not this addicted as yet :)

    By Blogger Praveen, at 6:48 AM  

  • praveen - good for you

    One of the reasons I tell people not to buy a laptop when they return to India - but sometimes it is just too hard to resist

    By Blogger tcr_79, at 1:26 PM  

  • Has this addiction changed back in India.....or has it not!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home